I would like to encourage everyone to give, give generously, give recurring gifts, and to start now.
Many people have a portfolio of stocks, bonds and other investment vehicles. I find myself with a portfolio of charitable giving. I would really like to encourage you to develop a similar portfolio. Why? Because our “western civilization” has wreaked havoc around the globe, among those people not able to or interested in participating, and those non-human victims as well, including animals, plants, the environment.
Here’s my [partial] list. I hope it inspires you to look for ways to give also. There is a need.
- one.org – fighting to overcome AIDS and extreme poverty
- ASPCA – We are their voice.™
- WSPA – the World Society for the Protection of Animals
- There are Episcopal Charities organizations in a variety of places. Mine is Episcopal Charities New York.
- Consider giving to a local church. Mine is Saint Peters – Chelsea. For those of you who are not religious, you should know that most churches strive to provide food, clothing, information and guidance, concerts, meeting rooms, and a friendly voice to anyone who seeks these. Funds raised from all sources go toward these efforts.
- There are good reasons for also giving to another church besides your own. I also give to Saint Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue.
- HRC, the Human Rights Campaign – working for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Equal Rights.